Royal British Legion

rblegionShrewton and District Branch Royal British Legion

Shrewton formed a Post of Comrades Of The Great War (one of four organisations of ex-servicemen) in 1919.

The Post joined the British Legion in 1921 when it became a National non-party, and non-sectarian organisation of ex- servicemen throughout the country.

The Legion was granted the Royal prefix in 1971 the Golden Jubilee year.  Full membership was extended to all serving members of H.M. Forces in the Diamond Jubilee year of 1981.

In carrying out the objects for which it was created the Legion endeavours:-

  1. To perpetuate the memory of those who died in the service of their country.
  2. To educate public opinion to the view that the maintenance of the disabled and the welfare of ex-servicemen, women and dependants are national duties.
  3. To assist ex- servicemen and ex-servicewomen and the widows,children and dependants of those who have served,in matters relating to pensions, allowances,grants and war gratuities.
  4. To raise and co-ordinate funds for the purpose of assisting ex-service personnel and their dependants.
  5. To assist serving men and women in connection with their return to civil life and to promote the interests of their dependants while they are serving.

The Shrewton Branch of The Royal British Legion meets on the first Wednesday of each Month in the Shrewton Sports and Social Club. We welcome members at 20.00 hours.

Our Chairman is Mr. Dennis Compton.

We can be contacted through our Secretary Mr Mike Handsley on 01980 621365.

poppy_appeal

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/